Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

When Tragedy Strikes


A 13 year old boy that I used to go to school with, died this morning. I was never really close to him but I did see him a lot when I went to school with him and I hung out with him when he was little. Also most of my friends were really good friends with him.

I've never known anyone who's died really. The closest i've ever been around death was when a coach from a near school died from cancer, i'd met him a few times but it didn't really impact me that much.

Today though, this boys death affected me a lot. Not in the "I knew him really well" but in the "death can happen to any of us at any time" way. The fact that he was 13. The fact that he was just on his way to a dress rehearsal for a play he would be performing in. The fact that he woke up this morning, and he had no idea what would come of him. He probably had thoughts of things he'd be doing tomorrow or even tonight. At least when someone has cancer you know the possibility of them dying is there. You usually have time to prepare for it and say your goodbyes. But today no one had any idea what would happen. Which is the hard part for me.

I guess it's never really hit me how much we take for granted. We all assume we'll live to see tomorrow. We never can guess when tragedy will strike. I guess what i'm trying to say is that we need to live in the now. I'm not saying yolo, as in we should go out and get drunk and party. I'm saying that we should love our Heavenly Father and love the people around us like it could be the last time we see them because in the end love matters most of all.

I feel like we should also get in the mindset of "If tomorrow I die, would I be happy with how I left everything? Would I be happy with how I left my relationships with friends and family? Would I be happy with the reputation I'd be leaving behind? Etc." (Its really ironic because I just had a bible study this past Sunday night where we were talking about this.)

Here's some of the Bible verses that have been on my mind all day: 

"Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” -James 4: 13-15

"If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." -Romans 14:8

"Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." -Psalm 30:5

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;  and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”." -John 11:25-26

I also want to thank God that Thanksgiving was yesterday. His family got to spend a whole cheerful last day with him. 

But to end on a happy note to those who are mourning, just remember that he's chillin with God right now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment